HanKFranK
(User)
Sun Dec 04 2005 05:53 AM
Re: Receding Gulf Stream

well, i've seen studies that freshwater influx can shut off the nadw (north atlantic deep water) formation and others that say all they do is slow it down unless a really immense shock (like from a glacial dam giving way and letting a lake drain rapidly) comes by and knocks it off. i'd guess that an ice shelf falling off a continent into an ocean could do it as well, but most of what's up around the north atlantic is in interior greenland, and can't 'fall-in', so to speak. CO2 is high as well... if those scary model forecasts aren't overdoing things by orders of magnitude then the climate over much of the northern hemisphere is due to warm tangibly in the next couple of decades. and those model forecasts don't really scare me, come to think of it. ice ages are scary... interstadials are much better to live in.
just recently, though, i haven't seen any really huge cold sst anomalies in the north atlantic. it's been persistently warmer than the long term average (long term to us doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, though) for the last few years. if i had to make a forecast for the UK for the next decade, i'd say it'll be warm if anything. maybe some relation of vince will make a pass at them, who knows?
HF 0553z04december

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center