Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 02 2005 12:19 AM
Re: Katrina Domino Effect

Quote:

This is what infuriates me the most right now. These people raising prices at gas right now should be held accountable by the law under the price gouging statutes. They should have to provide documentation of higher paid-for prices before they should legally be allowed to raise gas by a certain percentage increase.

I know, this is a myopic consumer view of the free market system, but it's one born out of frustration with the stranglehold the gas industry has on our lives. I'm watching countless images of devastation, loss, anguish, and I've yet to have my soul recover from the pain I feel watching it. And then I go out, to try and get some balance, and I come across gas stations profiting out of misery and panic, and it infuriates me to no end.

Lets put this in some persprective. When I was in high school in the fifties, I could drive into town and fill up the '51 Hudson at the Standard station for $0.259 a gallon for leaded regular compared to $2.899 today at Citgo for unleadeaded regular (plus Frank at Standard had full serve then). I could then run in and get a bottle of coke from his machine for six cents while Abdul at the Citgo station want $1.29 for a bottle of coke. Later, i could got the the Post offfice and send a first class letter for three cents (thirty-seven cents now and due to go up again). Following that, i could go to Knapp's Dairy Bar and get a cup of coffee (full service) for a dime and the waitress would refill it for nothing. Stabucks wants $1.80 for the cup of coffee and $0.53 for the refill and you stand in line both times.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center