GLT
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 18 2005 12:45 PM
Re: Sister City

This is so sad to hear. Makes me think I was real whiny when I complained about a lack of help here after Charlie etc. We were also out of the center of attention, and were mostly left on our own. The fire department did come through telling us to get out (they thought it was going to flood -silly) or they wouldn't help us. Lucky they didn't see me, I would have asked when they had ever helped anybody.

As I remember FEMA was more willing to help you if you had no insurance than if you did. I had no insurance. I registered w/ FEMA by phone after Charlie and a contract worker (teacher or something) showed up after the last hurricane and was only interested in damages from Charlie. I got a check for $900 for my generator + gas (yeah right) and a bunch of forms a few days later. The only other real damages I had was for paying to cut up and haul away trees. I never filled out the forms.

Could ya'll help us help you? By this I mean could you point out who (if anyone yet) is providing REAL help. Salvation Army, Red Cross,etc. That way, we can direct contributions to them. Maybe an address of a local office of any organization we can send funds to. That may help get the help to where it is needed.

It is also good to know what insurance companies are better than others, that may help others in the future.

I though life here was just horrible last year, and I was one on the lucky ones. So I understand at least part of your suffering. It WILL get better. There isn't another alternative.

GLT

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center