IMTechspec
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Aug 15 2008 10:13 PM
Re: Watching the Wave Northeast of the Lesser Antilles

Quote:

This storm has a pretty large axis. Imo, its going to effect tampa/west coast ALOT. Regardless.

Along those lines, I wonder how large the core, the eye and radius of damaging winds will be as it approaches landfall? My guess is that it has the potential to be relatively large.
If Fay lives through the islands, I suspect that when she finds some open friendly water, some of those areas that have competed for the LLC might consolidate into something a little larger. Watching the observations from the Recon planes as they sampled the various areas of the storm this afternoon, started me thinking about the potential for a larger system if it can survive and stay together. As always, lots of ifs.

A "half full" perspective on a storm like this approaching Florida with an uncertain path;
Everyone needs to pay attention to it. It has only been a couple of years since FL was impacted by a hurricane, yet there is a noticeable level of complacency. Even if there were to be a South Florida landfall, folks there will have the weekend to finish preparations. Not like the 2004 Parade of Hurricanes, where they always showed up on Fridays and Saturdays, so that you had to try to prep during the week, often in the evenings... For those that did prep!

Hopefully people here in Florida will prep like mad this weekend, and then Fay will fall apart. That certainly would not be anything to be disappointed about. All of that prep is still a good investment, and not just for Hurricanes.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center