JMII
(Weather Master)
Wed Aug 27 2008 12:54 PM
Re: gustav looking strange on loops

Quote:

I'm just watching to see how the high plays out over time and where that trough is going over Texas/western GOM goes. That SWesterly flow over the GOM still concerns me.

Me too! The flow over the Gulf sure makes it looks like any storm that tried to move north now would just be swept back to the EAST and wind up on the west coast of FL. However the models all seemed to point to LA (not good!!!) and have shifted back south to the gap between Cuba and Jamaica like before. Thus the current thinking is the high will fill-in over FL and block Gus, keeping him below Cuba till Saturday.

Gus slowed and weakened overnight... it looks like instead of pushing west he just hit the wall (at 20N) and stopped. Outflow is good on the southern half so if he gets away from the "wall" he should rebuild. Now as we saw with Fay stalling systems are bad news: lots of rain and the models have trouble coming to grips with systems that aren't moving along, the timing can be really thrown off making the future track very much in doubt. I still believe Gus has no choice but to move W, maybe even a little WSW like the UKMET shows, but he has to un-stick himself from the wall first.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center