weatherguy08
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 29 2008 04:05 AM
Re: gustav looking strange on loops

If the forecast for Gustav would play out as forecast, the angular approach to the coast may reduce storm surge somewhat, very important for the Louisiana coast. This is why Andrew, a category three hurricane when it hit Louisiana, only produced a eight-foot storm surge; however, Vermilion Bay (on the south Louisiana coast) would act as a funnel for areas very near where the eye made landfall (as of now Intracoastal City), again assuming the forecast plays out (which is why I am posting in the lounge).

On a different note, it looks like the GFDL is forecasting a Katrina-repeat (mouth of Mississippi River then Mississippi Sound), the HWRF is forecast a Rita-repeat (southwest Louisiana), and the GFS is forecasting a Lili repeat (Vermilion Bay)! I would say we could probably narrow it down to upper Texas, Louisiana, or Mississippi at this point.

I am watching this one very closely as Lafayette, Louisiana is my hometown (in Baton Rouge for now).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center