MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Sep 04 2008 11:50 AM
Re: intensity forecasts for Ike will be a crap shoot

I moved mule's post to the Lounge since it was taking a lounge type guess on the main page. Personally I don't think that will happen.

What we do have is a category 4 storm, which won't hold that for 5 days, shear will weaken it a bit, it may go stronger for a bit, it may go down to a category 1. If it maintains the core it will be a problem, but it likely won't.

Ike Turning north depends on a developing trough to its north, and how much riding Ike may help generate as a major. It's likely to be a close call, but I don't think it's worth trying to take a guess an exact landfall point now (or the lack of landfall).

The Latest GFDL is interesting, it takes it south, stays north of Cuba then heads generally toward Florida, but at a curve that still has out to sea a possibility. If Ike is still showing this over the weekend, then there will be more to be concerned with. Anyone getting Anxious about it now is jumping the gun.

But still we'd like to hear, what do you think will happen?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center