Steve C
(Verified CFHC User)
Tue Sep 19 2017 09:07 PM
Re: 96L Lounge

Quote:

prior storm Charley.. serious damage swath was probably confined to 15 miles wide,

Is that because the max winds weren't cat 4-5 as often? I'd think serious damage (I'm thinking risk to structural integrity) would be limited to areas of sustained Cat 3 or higher.

The smallest radii (fastest winds) given in the Forecast/Advisory are for minimal Cat 1. I'd really like to see an additional line item for where Cat 3 winds start. (We're now designating H versus M on the track plots...)

We bailed for Austin when Rita was predicted to make a direct hit on Houston. Got caught in the 9+ hour traffic jam. By the time we got to Austin, Rita, having continued to slow coming across the Gulf (and the approaching front having made up the time) ended up much further east. At my house, we *maybe* had Cat 1 sustained. Probably only as gusts. As soon as I saw this in the Forecast/Advisory on arrival in Austin, we took off back for Houston.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center