Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jul 10 2004 04:41 AM
Re: Hurricane Elena, 1985

I really was just kidding but since YOU asked about my Georges story. . . Here we are in a different home, and three kids later. As news of Georges spread my neighbors are all out in their yards and we start discussing the possibilities. Keep in mind that my husband works at a refinery that does not shut down unless, well you know. My neighbors were all making fun of me wanting to leave WITH my husband which was not possible. One of my neighbors was newly married when she went through Camille. She said that the area where we now lived did not even flood during Camille.

So, since everyone was saying that Sir Georges was going in near New Orleans that we would be "fine." I ironed clothes all day an into the night. Ironing is not one of my favorite pasttimes but I could iron and watch the weather reports. I finally talked myself into going to bed at about midnight. Things were still OK. Louisiana was the target that Georges had his sights set on. At around two I woke up to howling winds and driving rain. I managed to stay calm until around three. I woke my darling husband up (this was the man who also thought I was being silly.) If I was going to be afraid he was too!

Georges made landfall between Ocean Springs and Gautier which is about a fifteen minute drive from us. We had very little structural damage except for the roof but we had nine trees down in what used to be our back yard. We think tornadoes were the culprit.

I have vivid memories of trying to hide my fear as we huddled in the interior hall of my home. We moved twin mattresses into the hall for the kids (I don't know why, we didn't close our eyes.) My lesson learned from Georges was that preparation is ALWAYS best. We had not even boarded windows. The family joke now is that when my husband talks to my about plans for a hurricane "scare" that he better have a hammer in one hand and a peice of plyboard in the other. He now has peices measured and numbered for a quick fix! The weather still fascinates me but I have an real fear that comes only from experience.

That's my Georges story. I hope I don't have to add to my list of tales any time soon. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Goula Girl

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center