Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Wed Aug 28 2002 02:47 AM
Re: 2002 and 2003

The last year without a Major was 1994. I'll admit that I was a bit undecided as to the Majors - waivered between None and One. Usually, in order to develop a Major Hurricane you need ideal conditions over a fairly long stretch, OR you need a very slow moving system that avoids its own upwelling while moving through a very favorable area of the basin. The latter case is a remote possibility, but the former has not yet existed in the basin this year and I don't see much chance for long-stretch ideal conditions - they take time to develop. Remember, 4 more storms in the next 8 weeks is not exactly washing out the rest of the season
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center