Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Sep 14 2004 04:28 PM
Re: Hurricane Elena, 1985

I was in living in Tallahassee at the time, attending FSU. I worked part-time in an office setting at night. We knew there was a "storm" coming, but had no idea what effects there might be. About 8:30 PM, I finally told the bosses I had had enough and was going home. A co-worker had already tried to drive to her home, only to turn around after encountering down powerlines & trees. She followed me to my little garage apartment and spent a sleepless night on the couch. We listened to the wind howling and debris hitting the windows all night.

The next morning the power was off. We were so completely unprepared. I went out to my car to listen to the radio and hear what was happening. Having no food in the house, I somehow made it to the grocery store and found a surreal scene. They were operating on generator power, enough to keep the cash registers going. Everyone was functioning in a dazed state.

For the next few weeks, all you could hear was chain-saws buzzing as they cut up the remanents of the fallen trees. The most impressive (and sad) sight was the 100 year old oak trees completely uprooted.

Now living in the Tampa area and having been through 2 near misses this year, I don't take anything for granted. We were prepared for Ivan, and though it appears he will not visit us, we're glad to have been ready (as ready as one can be). It's like going through a fire drill. Everytime you do it, you get better at it. You are ready for the eventual and seemingly inevitable, but continue to pray to be spared.

Thanks for letting me share!

Gulftrade

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center