Sadie
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 16 2004 09:21 PM
Charley Project

I am doing an Earth Science project on Hurricane Charley's impact on my hometown of Arcadia and surrounding Desoto County. I'm looking for any kind of street level map that would show the path of Charley across this area.

Wish I'd found this board before Charley. I've just spent some time reading the Talkbacks from then. Many of you called this one long before we heard it on TV. That was a day that will go in the top five of my life. Being a horse trainer and responsible for 16, we were more prepared than most, but not prepared enough. Everything was locked down, horses out and tagged, supplies laid in and we had planned to ride it out, but when they finally reported a Cat 4 in Charlotte Harbor, we barely got the front gate shut (took two men) and to where we planned to shelter (just in case -- thank God we had a plan) before we were in the middle of hell. The drive back home was the longest I ever made (2 miles) and when I saw all alive and well and the house still standing (small limb in bedroom) I broke down and cried.

So when choosing a subject for the Earth Sciene paper, it didn't take much thought. If anyone has some suggestions on maps, they would be greatly appreciated. The best one I've found only covers Orange Co. (web page) but it's a good example of what I'm looking for. Also would like a really awesome b/w image of Charley making landfall.

Thanks for all you do, you help so many.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center