Clark
(Meteorologist)
Tue Aug 16 2005 04:17 AM
Re: how do they determine hurricanes?

Thanks for posting that, CoalCracker -- I didn't have a link off-hand to the project website. I've been anxiously awaiting our (FSU) contribution to the project, as that may involve some work for me as well, but I think we don't really come in until the 1930s or so, given that our primary involvement is upon cyclone structure, detection, and phase change using model analyses, which only become decent about that time.

Nevertheless, it is a very interesting project that has produced some good work already -- see the Hurricane Andrew upgrade for the most memorable example, with the San Diego hurricane of 1858 (http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34947&an=0&page=0#34947) being another -- with the more recent parts of the database still to come.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center