Lysis
(User)
Sun Aug 26 2007 01:08 AM
Re: My list of Possible Category Five hurricanes

My father went through Betsy in 65'; we actually have 8mm film of the storm!

The NHC reports for storms of this antiquity are pretty thorough, and can be found here:

Archive

The database dates back to 1958, and offers a virtual treasure chest of information for history buffs such as myself.

Back to Betsy, a category 5 recertification would not be totally implausible; its 941mb central pressure would be suspect though. However, considering that Betsy was no where near its peak strength at either landfall, there is really no precedence for such an upgrade.

Hurricane history and climatology is a really great thing to get into, and I would encourage you to foster your interests in this regard.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center