Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Mon Aug 23 2004 07:42 AM
Re: Typhoon Chaba

Today it is finally tuning northward as the mid-level steering ridge recedes, somehow I just didn't think it would be able to surpass 200 mph sustained winds but who knows how strong it was becasue we can't get that info. I heard that Guam reported gusts up to a 130 mph and sustained winds at 110 and they were about 70 miles south of the eye. But now this morning it is becoming smaller and more symetrical, it seems this is it's peak because it's recurving earlier than anyone thought at the JTWC, but I think it can still knock in some more knots as the day progresses and because of day-time heating. Also it's only moving at about 10mph to west north west. Since it is taking a sonner turn it will now have it sights set for Toyko as a cat. 2. or a cat. 3 depending on it's foward speed. I wonder how those people in Sapian Islands did, they're probably used this by now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center