ant89
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 22 2004 09:32 PM
Re: backtrack to chaba in august

The annoying thing about Pacific Typhoons is that information on them tends to be sketchy and inconsistent. I got that <872 millibars reading for Zeb from a website ranking some of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever. This was also the site that mentioned the rumor that Zeb acheived higher than an 8.0. No other website I have looked at has confirmed the 872 milliibar pressure estimate or this rumor.
Angela is also an engima to me. I've seen several sites mentioning an 8.3 on the Dvorak Scale for this storm, but the pressure estimates were listed as 900 millibars which really doesn't make sense. Afterall, if it really got an 8.3, I'm surprised its not thought to be the most powerful ever.
Finally, there is Typhoon Tip. For the storm with the lowest recorded pressure ever, you'd expect it to be a perfectly formed system, but in pictures of it dated from the day when the 870 millibar reading was taken, it doesn't even look like a hurricane: no eye, not circular/symetrical, gaps in the cloudmass etc.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center