CoconutCandy
(User)
Thu Jun 11 2009 09:09 PM
Tropical Cyclone Formation Looking Less Likely

Hmmm ... You're right. Looks to be not very well organized today. Animated visible imagery suggests that there might be several minor circulation centers, in addition to the main one. Microwave imagery doesn't look too pretty, either.

I think the 'window of opportunity' could be closing soon. Even if the convection consolidates tonight (not out of the question) and a TD/storm does form, it's quite likely to be short-lived.

The SST overlay reveals a very complex pattern. One of the strangest I've ever seen. There is a *strong* thermal gradient (tightly packed isotherms) of high amplitude to the NE of the LLC *and* much cooler waters just to the west.

So it now seems to me that development to TD is rather questionable, and even if it does occur, will be short-lived as the SST's in the area just don't really support much development of this system, if at all.

But I concur with Michael that it could be a rather 'unusual season' shaping up for all the basins east of the dateline. More on that later, which I will post to another forum.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center