vpbob21
(Weather Guru)
Fri Oct 02 2009 05:00 AM
Typhoon Melor Bears Down on Saipan

I had been posting on Melor in the other thread, but I feel like they should each have their own thread. So I started this thread on Melor, and I'll keep posting Parma stuff in the other thread.

Typhoon Melor has continued to steadily strengthen today, and is at 120 kts. (140 mph). It is about 330 miles east (and slightly south) of Saipan. After moving steadily WNW to NW for a couple days, Melor made a rather significant jog to the west today. Although it seems to have resumed a more WNW course recently, the earlier jog will likely take Melor perilously close to Saipan, perhaps within 50 miles. Typhoon warnings are in effect for Saipan (as well as Tinian) and typhoon conditions look like a good bet, probably within 24 hours. It is likely that Melor will be a supertyphoon by then as well.

After Melor clears the Northern Marianas the global models are suggesting a threat to Japan for early-mid next week. The official forecast takes the intensity up to 145 kts. (165 mph) as the storm starts to recurve and head north late in the 5-day period.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center