vpbob21
(Weather Guru)
Tue Oct 13 2009 12:47 AM
Parma Heading for Final Landfall in Vietnam

It is hard to believe that over 2 weeks since invest 99W was classified as T.D. #19, and later as Tropical Storm Parma, that system is still out there. Going back about 9 or 10 days, Parma crossed Luzon heading NW, then interacted with Typhoon Melor passing to its east and drifted SE back across the island. Then the ridge built back in to the north and Parma made a third crossing of the island heading WNW. Of course this has produced almost non-stop heavy rain over the northern part of Luzon, and when all is said and done, Parma may end up being a deadlier storm than Ketsana. The scenes of entire villages being buried by landslides are truly heartbreaking.

It would be nice if the Philippines would get some fine weather to be able to clean up from these back-to-back disasters, but another vigorous tropical wave with an invest tag (93W) is fast closing in on the islands. Hopefully it will pass quickly by and not add to the problems.

Parma is still not through doing its dirty work. It has crossed over Hainan island and has moved back over the Gulf of Tonkin, heading for a final landfall in Vietnam in about 24 hours. Even with only 35 kt winds, it will certainly cause more flooding and mudslides as it moves inland.

Parma is also steadily climbing the list of longest-lasting Western Pacific cyclones. The 0300z warning was #62 issued for Parma. I did a little research and went back through the last 50 years of West Pac activity and I believe that Parma is now in 8th place as far as longevity (over the last 50 years). Here is my list (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I have missed one):

#1 - Rita (1979) 79 warnings
#2 - Opal (1969) 69
#3 - Kujira (2003), Verne (1994), Tess (1972) 66
#6 - Gay (1992), Bess (1963) 63
#8 - Parma (2009) 62
#9 - Nari (2001), Nat (1991) 61

I didn't count storms that formed in the Central Pacific and moved into the Western Pacific - that's why Ioke (2006 - 67 warnings) isn't on the list. It looks like Parma has a fair chance of reaching at least third place by the time it winds down.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center