Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sun Jun 29 2003 05:26 PM
Tropical Storm Bill

The system which formed just southeast of the Yucatan a couple of days ago has consolidated this morning into TS Bill. Bill is located in the central Gulf of Mexico near 24N 90W and at 15Z, NHC placed the coordinates for the minimal Tropical Storm at 23.5N 91.5W. A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for the northeast Texas and southwest to south central Louisiana coasts.

As is common with developing systems, the center may be relocated later today. Satellite imagery suggests that the initial location by NHC may have been a bit too far to the west and south. Anyone living along the coast from eastern Louisiana to the northern Florida panhandle should still keep a wary eye on this storm as the center and track are established in the next 24 hours.

If the center relocates further to the east (and north) I'm sure that the Warning area would be extended eastward. Bill is still fighting some residual shear which will inhibit rapid intensification during the daylight hours today. Current movement was to the northwest however upper level wind forecasts would promote a more northerly course later today and tonight. Intensity was based on a ship report 150NM northeast of the center location. Slow intensification seems likely tonight and on Monday. Bill also has some subtropical characteristics as it interacts with the stalled front to its north.

Since Mike is out of town, I'll monitor the storm for any significant changes, but I'll primarily use the Storm Forum for that.

Congrats to Toni who nailed the date for Bill in our earlier fun contest!

Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center