The Force 2005
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Sep 07 2005 09:31 AM
The Use of the Term Minimal Hurricane

I posted a reply yesterday, and would like to re-post today about what "minimal" is or was stated. I believe once again, that forecasters drop the term "minimal" because of several factors.

Regardless of how strong or how weak a hurricane is, it is just that, a hurricane. We all know the NHC does not use that in their forecast, but do use the label quite often. A minimal hurricane can and will do detructive things and cause death and destruction. So what is minimal about that.

Also, when forecasters get on the air to report a possible tornado, they don't warn people that an F1, or F5 is coming their way. Regardless of the size, we all know the destructive capability a tornado can do, even if it's an F1 or F5. Obviously, an F5 will cause catastrophic damage as well as a CAT5. But lower on the scale are descriptions of what to expect with a storm by CAT or Fugita scale. I believe people get caught up in the strength of a patricular system, then they modify what they are going to do. If Katrina was a "minimal" hurricane when it hit FLA, and the lower keys, then why was there so much destruction and deaths caused by such a "minimal" storm. My thoughts are the more labels we add to a strom, people will and do nothing, to try to escape the storm that is approaching. Then why does the Weather Channel and Mets put out a warning that a tornado is coming, and to take shelter immediately, because they know the damage associated with it. Again, F1 or F5 CAT1 or CAT 5 doesn't make a difference to me, it is still a "HURRICANE".

Repeat post, moved to storm forum - mc

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center