Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Tue May 27 2008 12:17 AM
Re: Initial Outlook for the 2008 Season

Cieldumort 's post caught my attention and prompted a revisit of the latest 6-month SST forecasts. The rapid change in forecast ENSO SST anomalies continues. The current forecast would imply about a -0.4C Region 3.4 anomaly, but given the trend toward a rapid decline in the existing La Nina, the reality forecast is probably more like -0.2C for the May/June/July average anomaly.

This meant that the analog years should be revisited - and what a change there as well. I could not find a significantly similar analog year that was a true good match for what has happened in the ENSO region this year, but the following years are best selections in priority order:

2001 - 15/9/4 - not as cold at start of year, but realistic for end of year.
1976 - 10/6/2 - probably too warm at end of year
1951 - 10/8/2 - not as cold at start of year
1989 - 11/7/2 - Remained cooler than currently expected during the season

Based on the above, my first thought was to leave my earlier forecast of 12/7/3 intact, but with deference to 2001 I've upped my totals slightly to 13/8/3.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center