Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sat Aug 14 2010 03:55 PM
Re: 2010 forecast

Because Meteorology is an inexact science with too many variables that can alter a forecast made with all good intentions, the court system has ruled, at the Federal level, that meteorologists and the agencies that they work for cannot be held legally liable or responsible for losses that result from a busted forecast. Think about it - if these punishments were allowed, there would be no forecasts because no one would be able to handle the litigation costs associated with that type of work. Meteorologists are indeed held accountable in ways that the general public seldom ever sees.

Because CFHC does not permit personal attacks - and that interpretation includes agencies and businesses both public and private - we just don't wander down the path that takes pot-shots when things don't turn out quite like we think that they should have. However, meteorologists constantly try to learn from their mistakes - which is always good advice no matter what your job is. In reality, almost every NWS site has a forecast accuracy of at least 85% - often higher. Some folks will always be better at their job than others in the same vocation - and that includes meteorologists.

Remember, its always okay on this site to express a differing opinion or analysis or forecast. If I disagree with your assessment I will tell you why, but if I disagree with 'you', we'll talk about it in private and not post it on the site.
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center