cieldumort
(Moderator)
Tue May 29 2012 12:08 AM
Re: Outlook for 2012

Greetings, everyone. I hope you are having a safe and healthy 2012.

My best guess for 2012 is for 14 storms, 6 hurricanes and 3 majors.

It is worth noting that we have had two named storms, already.

Despite these roughly "average" totals (at least since 1995 has been concerned), I expect a greater chance for landfalls, including higher than average odds of US landfalls.

If I am right, and we have fewer names, but more landfalls than usual, that means that a larger percentage of 2012 named systems than usual in the Atlantic basin will impact land - which would just go to show how average (and of course even below average totals) do not necessarily result in average to below average impacts.

My rationale for 14, 6 and 3 may easily be busted - and perhaps by a lot, should:

1) an El Nino begins prior to September (expect my guess could be much too high in that case) , OR

2) we actually slide back into a La Nina phase by September (expect my guess could be much too low in that case).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center