Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sat Oct 05 2002 10:43 PM
Re: Good forecast Ed...

First off, glad that you are okay! I was okay on the track forecast, but lousy on the intensity (guess I wasn't alone). Lili will probably be recorded as coming ashore as a minimal Cat II, but thats probably generous. The highest gust that I saw was 94mph at New Iberia, although you may have seen something locally that was higher. That would translate to an average Cat I at landfall with a small area of sustained winds around 85, perhaps 90mph, near the core. Still a worrysome event if you live along the coast. It occured to me that if Meteorology is about 150 years old as a science (see my earlier thread today) then I've been doing this for one-third of that timeframe - which points out that intensity forecasting still needs a lot of work.

Kyle is still hanging around and frustrating the NHC. An area near 28N 55W has a chance at becoming subtropical in a couple of days. An area in the southern Caribbean has minimal potential for slow development. An active wave is approaching the islands, but it is disorganized. I also believe that their is a chance for a very uncommon winter event - just a hunch. This has certainly turned into quite a season - more than I would have guessed a couple of months ago.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center