Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Wed Aug 22 2012 12:59 PM
Re: What happened to everyone

This comes up from time to time - and I'm convinced, human nature being what it is, that it always will. A couple of recommendations:
1) Read the thread above this one called "Where Should I Put My Post" - it, along with the addition of the Weather Analysts has solved some of the earlier site posting problems.
2) Check out the thread from almost 4 years ago in this same Forum titled: "I am missing you".

Someone complained yesterday about not being able to post forecasts beyond three days on the Main Page thread. Yesterdays leadoff article by Mike (just a few hours earlier) included the following comments: "The forecast is for a hurricane to be in the eastern Caribbean on Thursday, and moving still fairly quickly to the west, potentially interacting with the Dominican Republic or Haiti on Friday, and possible moving near Cuba Saturday into Sunday. Beyond that is lounge discussion" Thats a Tuesday post with a five day forecast stating that anything beyond 5 days belongs in the Forecast Lounge. So we've got a complaint about not being able to do something that we've actually permitted for quite some time and stated that fact a few hours BEFORE the complaint. Does anyone even bother to read the leadoff article? - I guess that the answer in some cases is 'no'. Probably also true of the Site Rules.

You stated: "Back in the good old days, this site would have lots of posts coming in minute by minute" and "This used to be a great site". You define 'good' as a lot of posts coming in minute by minute, but others might not embrace that same definition - at CFHC its not quantity but rather a hope for quality - and at least for me that seems to be a better definition of what might constitute a great site or at least help it to become one. There are certainly places on the site to post almost everything about tropical systems that you would want to say. The problem is probably far less associated with the moderation and more associated with human nature. If folks take the time to read, the site is rather easy to use.

Finally, you noted that that you were not sure if we could bring this site back like it used to be - but in reality 'like it used to be' didn't meet the site objectives of Hurricanes Without The Hype.

Thanks for your input - and for your sincere concern for the site.
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center