MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Aug 23 2012 12:04 AM
Re: What happened to everyone

2005 was overboard, even with the stronger moderation we had at the time. There has not been pair of years like 2004 and 2005 since (for storm activity). The information (and misinformation) was moving too quickly and being lost, and we didn't like disclaimers everywhere so we decided to enforce splitting up the discussion a bit to intentionally get more speculation off the main page to prevent confusion and hype. I also like to promote other hurricane sites, forums, and the like, I read them all to try to detect hype, and try to see where people are focusing on, and try to see what they are missing.

A lot of times water vapor loops are enough, and over-reliance on models alone without verifying how well they were initialized is a problem. (bad initialization is enough to throw the entire thing out)

I think a problem is too many typos when I write this stuff exhausted after staring at loops and reading everything I can get ahold of, and the day job is very demanding too, which has kept the site in a bit of stasis technologically for too long.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center