Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 08 2002 01:08 PM
gulf/florida

gulf system, 95L, doesnt look much different. still no cdo, therefore no intensification. crappy convection equals crappy system when there isnt some baroclinic kick to compensate, law of the tropics. getting some easterly shear it looks like, nothing too serious. it got a d1.0 this morning at 1145z. lowest pressure reading in the area is only 1015mb, but away from the center. plane will get there this afternoon from keesler, tell us more. gfdl says south texas, bit initialized too far north. still most models take it closer to brownsville than i'm thinking.
the florida convection..not sure what triggered it. there isnt any kind of surface feature associated with it. some models were saying a disturbance would form in the eastern gulf mid week, so i doubt this is related. watch the area in days to come, though. rummaging through models.. i noticed it, dunham noticed it, bastardi even mentioned it in his post today. the seniority backup makes it stand out more in my mind. a major amplification in the east later in the week should slow the westerly progress of anything in the gulf down to a crawl.
pretty good easterly pulse coming into the islands today, itcz has some turning in it around 50w. first signs of life ive seen in the deep tropics. of course that threat area is still dormant. upper westerlies and subsidence, front flank of the TUTT, dominate the caribbean.
HanKFranK aiken, SC 1644z08july

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center