Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Mon Jul 08 2002 08:55 PM
Re: Low Level Circulation

Actually, I should probably explain what I think this is (was). Last night NWS Melbourne in their forecast discussion mentioned that the southern half of the Florida peninsula would experience quite a few showers associated with a westward moving tropical wave moving in from the Bahamas (which is the focal point for the low pressure system that some of the models were developing off the southwest Florida coast). This morning some squally weather came ashore in south Florida and Melbourne noted the following in their discussion: "MORNING CONVECTION OVER SOUTH FL PUT OUT AN OUTFLOW
BOUNDARY/SQUALL LINE THAT CONTINUES TO PROPOGATE NORTH ACROSS LAKE
AND VOLUSIA COUNTIES. VERY HEAVY RAIN AND WIND GUSTS NEAR 35 MPH
OCCURRED WITH THIS LINE AS IT MOVED THROUGH PALM BAY...VERO BEACH
AND FORT PIERCE THIS MORNING." This afternoon the heavy convection over the peninsula suddenly went poof!! Now I asked myself why that should happen during the heat of the day over Florida in July? Here is the answer (I think): Embedded within the heavy convection was a small circulation center at the surface (TD?) and this is what caused the squally weather when it came ashore. When the center got over land, the clouds rapidly dissipated but now you could see the low level circulation. If this thing drifts back offshore (or crosses the state intact)...???
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center