Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu May 23 2002 09:04 PM
Re: hmm..

>>by the way, about your final comment steve.. why?

Hard to tell if it was a loaded question or not because I'm not sure who posted it. But I'll take a stab at it. This is in no way rehearsed (e.g. I don't have a standard essay answer), so it's an answer from what's in my head today.

1) I like the excitement. Being weather buffs, most of us do. I don't wish death or destruction on anyone, but it's inevitable over time. Nature's fury is an awe-inspiring thing to witness firsthand (it also makes for good tv).

2) I've never been through a storm that amounted to enough to scare me. Andrew, Juan and Florence (88?) were the main storms I've been through (was only 1 for Betsy in '65) and they weren't that bad. Growing up (late teens/early 20's), we used to have big blowouts for every storm that came through or got close. This was a group of friends that always got together to ride the storms out. We were always left hankering for a little more.

3) I like free holidays - nuff said on that one.

4) I am fascinated by the psychology and stories that come out whenever there is a threat. There is no rich or poor, black or white with a hurricane. Sure, some people may be able to evacuate while others are forced into shelters, but it's a common bond among everyone in a particular area. We're all going to be affected. People put aside their differences and do what's got to be done. If there is an elderly person on the block, people get together to help them tie up their loose ends and bring in their potential projectiles. Everyone talks to everyone else in the stores. It's a neat kind of reaction that one doesn't encounter so often - probably a throwback to neighborliness that hasn't existed since I was a little kid. I also like the wisdom that you get from some of the old timers and people who aren't old timers but have lived through some of the big ones like Frank P with Camile in '69. Plus, even if there is no threat, you can strike up a conversation with almost anyone you encounter and they'll have something to say about it (excepting of course the morons who run around saying things like, "I hoid dere was a tawnado comin' dawlin). Everyone and anyone who's ever lived near the coast has some type of hurricane story to tell. And hey, since I'm interested in hurricanes (duh!) and people, it's a nice way to get to know folks.

5) It's usually a nice break in the summer. 90% of the time, you'll only experience the positive effects of a storm because it's not going to make a direct hit. Cool, windy weather can provide a nice break from 99 degrees and 99% humidity on an August or September day.

I gotta get back to cooking, but I hope that answers most of the question. If not and you want something more specific on any of these points, I'm here.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center