Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 13 2002 08:22 AM
Here's the deal...

>>AT 7 AM CDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM HANNA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 27.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.2 WEST OR ABOUT 250 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF PENSACOLA FLORIDA.

This storm has already moved beyond 89 west. NO advisory or discussion by the TPC or really anyone here but Frank P had the storm crossing 89. The storm is moving NW at 7. While I expect a turn to the N and then NE like almost all North Gulf storms do, I'm sticking with my landfall between Biloxi and Daupin Island. New Orleans just got our first little band (?) of rain moving through. It was pretty strong and lasted for about 4 minutes. Not much wind, just a downpour. I haven't even made it over to the NWS to see where it came from, but I'm assuming it developed S and moved across.

As noted by several people yesterday, the MLC was NOT going to take over this storm. In any event, heavy rains should affect MS, AL and FL and POSSIBLY (but less likely) extreme SE LA tonight and tomorrow. I'm betting Hanna reaches at least 60 knots by landfall and should make for an interesting weekend for everyone east of me and west of St. George.

Goes to show that none of us - including the experts in Miami, State College and Washington DC really ever knows what's going to happen with a tropical storm. There's a lesson in this storm - as in most - that it's all guesswork.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center