Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 19 2002 05:40 PM
Re: izzy

In reply to:

"Size can be irrelevant in the strength of a storm. Let's hope this storm doesn't get it's act together and cause a major disaster.

Let me clarify and add something to that...I realize that even a small storm can be as deadly as a big storm i.e., Andrew vs. Floyd. Pretty much the same strength, yet a big difference in size. My point is that the bigger the storm is, the more area it will cover. My own opinion is that the size of the storm is absolutely relevant, especially when you are talking about a major hurricane. If Floyd had come ashore and across Florida, we probably wouldn't be talking right now. Because even in Lakeland, which is a 1 to 1-1/2 hour drive to the east coast of Florida and about a 1 hour drive to the West Coast, we were told to expect hurricane force winds INLAND. Whereas with Andrew, it was small enough (and by no means am I trying to lessen the impact it had) that it only affected a limited area. If Isidore becames a major hurricane and sits 40 miles off the coast, if it's big enough we WILL feel it. Also...if it just sits there and spins, we are looking at some major flooding problems. Just yesterday Polk County (where I live) was being told about a potential for major flooding.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center