wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 20 2002 01:28 AM
Re: guru.. gwaha...

HF, you do a great job....don't sell yourself short.

Now, the tropical suite...

The Bam's a are Beta advection models...which mean that they take the trajectory forecast from the AVN and derive the storm motion from there...the difference in the three are that they use layer means...the shallow is 850-700, the middle is 850-500, and the Deep is 850-250 (working from memory, but I think that is right....)...the Bams work best when the storm is influenced by the ambient flow, and not the other way around.

LBAR, the limited barotropic, is just that, a limited domain barotropic (dynamic) modal...it is a movable mesh on a storm centered domain...most useful when there aren't strong external forces outside the mesh of the model grid that are influencing storm motion....also, LBAR is 2 dimensional...which doesn't really account for upper level dynamic changes...

I find these models most useful in verifiying the output of other model data, and not as "primary" data, so to speak...I wouldn't bas e a forecast on them, but would use it to confirm what other data is telling me....

OK....there is a start...anything specific you want to ask me?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center