Ricreig
(User)
Sun Sep 29 2002 01:02 AM
Re: Question

In reply to:

Can someone tell me how many miles are in a degree. Ex 70 to 71? Thanks

Lets see....at the Equator, the circumferance of the earth is roughly 25,000, divided by 360 degrees = 69.444444444444444444444444444444 miles per degree. North and South and East-West, degrees latitude should be threfore about 70 miles at the Equator.... Now, as you go North or South from the Equator, the lines of Longitude get closer together such that at the north pole or south pole, they essentially merge to a dot. Thus, the East-West distance changes the further north or south you go, At 30 degrees North, the distance per degree decreases from about 69.4 miles per degree to around 60....

So, it depends on whether you are travelling North/South, or East-West, and your Latitude....

Just to confuse things, I was referring to Statute miles.... if you are talking Nautical miles, it is, I think 1 minute = 1 NM...at the equator.....Someone correct me if I'm too far off base....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center