BillD
(User)
Wed Oct 02 2002 12:53 AM
Re: when Andrew hit

Rickinmobile, I have to say that I fnd it hard to believe what you are saying. I rode out Andrew, and had friends and family in Cutler Ridge and Homestead. The destruction was beyond description, my brother's motherinlaw, her mother and daughter rode out the storm in the Naranja Lakes condos where at least three people died. Concrete block structures were reduced to piles of rubble. I also knew people in the Redland (farming areas west of Homestead) we went to check on them. We saw miles of concrete power poles snapped off about 10 ft high, and acres and acres of hundred year old pines the same. Thousands of acres of mango, avocado, citrus, papaya and other crops were literally flattened, nothing was left standing. So anything is possible, but I've never heard anything about "illegals" being killed and nobody paying attention. There is and has been a very active support structure for migrant farm workers for many years. It is hard to believe that "stacks" of them disappeared and nobody said anything. But at the same time, the whole south end of the county was taken over by the military. You didn't go anywhere without passing through National Guard checkpoints, and other military were dispatched across the entire area. Believe me when I say it is not something that you want to have to deal with.

Bill

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center