Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 02 2002 03:24 PM
Yeah I saw that Brad...

Hank Frank did a good job with his intensity forecast, and he claims not to be a guru! HA! LOL. Things are getting interesting. I hope the storm moves in down in the marshes. Cameron Parish (and whatever one is right east of it) 'way down there' are major rice farming areas. There aren't a lot of people there except country folk and farmers. Whomever suggested that it's a big recreational area down there is right. I've only been down to the coast on that side twice. You take Hwy. 27 south from Sulphur (just west of Lake Charles). There are a few towns (Hackberry, Cameron) with maybe a thousand or so people, but there is an abundance of wildlife and waterfowl down there. Otherwise, there are a lot of rice farms. The only population centers of note are (1,000-200,000) are Sulphur, Lake Charles, Lafayette, New Iberia, Franklin, Crowley, Abbeville and a couple other villages and towns. I like rice as much as the next guy, but if it's rice farms that need to pay, so be it. They're flooded terraces anyway!

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center