Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 02 2002 12:02 PM
I'm not really sure...

especially 'as the crow flies.' The interstate runs NW before it turns west again. Using the I-10 from memory, It's 80 miles to Baton Rouge, then 47 to Lafayette. New Iberia is probably 35 miles south of Lafayette or so. Lake Charles is 72 miles west of Lafayette. So using those figures, Lake Charles would be about 200 miles west of me no the I-10 and maybe 170 (?) on a straight line. Metairie is suburban New Orleans. We're immediately (and abutt) the city to its west. If you look at a map and don't know where New Orleans is, look at "LA" and you'll see Lake Pontchartrain in the SE corner of the state. The city borders the lake to the South. The western periphery of the lake is about 20 miles WNW from where I live.

Hope that kindasorta makes sense.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center