Kevin
(Weather Master)
Thu Oct 03 2002 11:32 PM
Re: lili shows sympathy

I'm really glad to see the damage with Lili will be more category 2-ish than it could have been. Lili was a moderate hurricane, nothing more and nothing less. Will definitely be remembered for a long time and the "hurricane streak" is over. My thoughts and prayers are with those who were greatly effected by this storm.

Another thing...I'm beginning to think we've entered the new era of increased major hurricane landfalls in US. I also think that the EC is not going to get as much in the coming years as Dr. Gray has said. There is has been 4 years straight now with extremely powerful Caribbean storms threatening the US but never actually hitting. Lili just broke that "rule", and I think she marks the beginning of a major increase in US landfalling coming from the Caribbean. Sure, in a couple of years we will probably see a real bad season again (like 1999) just because we see those types of seasons every 5-6 years. But don't be surprised to see big Caribbbean threats from now on. This is something I feel we need to watch for in the coming years.

Watch the SW Caribbean early to middle of next week as some models indicate pressure falls down there. A prospect, but a slim one given we are still almost a week away from any such event.

Kyle should finally recurve...somewhere in between NC and Bermuda seems good. Basically, NHC seems to be on track.

Kevin

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center