Kevin
(Weather Master)
Thu Oct 24 2002 05:24 PM
Re: late october

Kenna is amazingly impressive! I can barely think of a word for this type of event, latest recon shows pressures down to 918 millibars. I think 916 is a category 5, so another pressure drop may do the job. What is even more impressive is that this IS NOT because of El Nino. This is simply due to a tropical disturbance in the right place at the right time. A negative MJO, a tropical disturbance, and a ridge right over the disturbance can lead to something big very quickly. Mexican Coast will be war zone...if Kenna doesn't level off too much before landfall damage will be similar to what Gilbert did to the Yucatan in 1988. Horrific.

There has been a lot of fanfare concerning Caribbean development in the next 2-5 days, and I think it may be valid. There is currently some pretty strong, disorganized convection north of Panama. There is also numerous amounts of energy along 10N moving into the area. This combined with the MJO negative moving in should lead to some development in this area in 3-4 days. Also, I'll betcha anything that Kenna is teleconnecting to any storm that develops in the Caribbean will have a NE curve eventually. I'm not going any further than that.

Kevin

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center