Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Thu Jun 03 2004 03:29 AM
Some Guidance

First, a sincere thank you to Cycloneye for his kind words. I don't care too much for the notion of downplaying another site, especially one that is not of a professional nature, because I know the hard work that it takes to keep a good balance between all of the users of the site and the time and thought that it takes just to develop a new thread of interest - and that can be really tough if there's not that much of anything interesting that's going on. I've visited Storm2K from time to time just to get the thoughts of Cycloneye or Barometer Bob or others. Some sites may be better than others in their content, but they ALL take hard work to maintain interest and to keep things on an even keel.

Regarding new Forums, go back and read the by-line for the Storm Forum. I'd really like to see everybody use it for what it really was intended for. I started a thread that was my 2004 Forecast Update and urged you to put your own 'numbers' forecast in that thread by Saturday (or at least this weekend). Not only does this keep those forecasts in one place, it makes it a lot easier for me when I post a Summary at the end of the season and give credit to those who did a good job with their forecasts.

Another thread in the Storm Forum has the title: First Storm of the Season - and thats the place that I'd like to see all of your individual 'guesstimates'. Its not that a new Forum could not be generated, its just that I'm not convinced that you would use it. Here is an example: In the past few threads their have been some great posts on past hurricanes. Some of these have been summaries from NHC and other sources and some have been accounts of personal experiences...and ALL of them really would have been ideal material for the Hurricane History Forum. Here's an example of why its important to put that stuff in the right place. This year we have gained many new registered users and other visitors. If I was moving south and east to the Atlantic or Gulf coast, and I wanted to learn more about hurricanes that may have made landfall in the coastal area that I was moving to AND I stumbled across CFHC in my internet search for this info, I'd see the Hurricane History Forum and pay it a visit - and I'd probably be disappointed because there is not too much material. Its all sprinkled throughout the Main News threads where in a matter of a few short months it is long forgotten - so please go back and copy some of that great stuff into the Hurricane History Forum.

One new Forum that probably could be useful however would be an Other Weather Events forum - for comments on twisters and record temperatures, droughts, floods, etc. I'll have to see what Mike and John (and you) think about that.

Finally, we've all now had our initial 'rush' as the new season has started with our (way too) many hellos to our familiar posting friends. I'm sure that some of you have noticed that I've done a little editing from time to time On the positive side, I am very pleased to see that you have included our new members in your welcoming remarks - there are times when you guys and gals are a real 'class act' - and I mean that! But I also think that its now time to get on with the business of watching and reporting on the tropical Atlantic basin. Help me out here, because I'd rather use my time for posting comments and answering questions rather than editing posts.

One thing really has improved over the past few years, and thats the growing 'corporate knowledge' of the site. Now when a new question is asked or an explanation is sought, I don't often have to respond because the seasoned site veterans have already taken care of it - and Bettye really appreciates that because its less time that I have to be on the computer Thanks gang for all your help.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center