Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jun 13 2004 03:30 AM
Re: Watching the Gulf of Mexico

Looks like there will be a pretty significant rain event for some of us. I called early week that I though the main action would end up east of here. I still think that. But I'd bet lower Jefferson, St. Bernard and Lafourche will see some heavy totals. I'm just hoping to see a couple of squalls and a rainband or two and I'll be happy. I plan on picking up some ice and beer after I bring the kids to church tomorrow, so with any luck, I'll get to issue a couple of buzzed out reports from the front lines tomorrow night, Monday and maybe Tuesday.

Tough to say what New Orleans might see. We're potentially in the 5"+ range of possibility, but something just keeps tugging my mind east to Biloxi, Mobile and Pensacola. Bastardi, in his nightly update, is pretty convinced that it's coming in west of New Orleans. Maybe that's because he's going to be here Tuesday morning. Last time he was in town, we had a 1.5 hour 6" burst and he got to see some of the flooding first hand. He was all over that. You can imagine if he gets to ride out Alex or would-be Alex... He's convinced, named or not, there will be some torrential rains and tropical storm conditions NE of wherever the system goes in.

We'll see again tomorrow. I'm real interested in what happens in the daytime tomorrow with the pulsing of the system, and what kinds of storms it puts off.

The thing I like most about this system is it's been pretty pesky despite some of the negatives. I'll take another look at it later.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center