Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jun 13 2004 01:54 PM
Re: 2:02 AM Gomex...

Early images of rain are showing up nicely on the Mobile Radar:

Mobile Radar

I could see some of the clouds overhead associated with the dry band across my area in the 12:15UTC GOES shots. Typical whispy cirrus clouds across the sky. It's a bowl of soup here today though - warm, muggy and fairly still.

Early thoughts on the convection - a lot of FL posters around the web last night got enamored with the spinning blob of convection that sat over Cancun area last night. But that kind of stuff is always early-season "fooler" convection. This time, instead of being MLC sheared blowoff convection, it was probably feeder type moisture at the base of a stretched out trof in the area. The LLC that popped out of the system last night is still somewhat discernable on visible zooms. It appears the bulk of the new convection is coming out of another spinning area somewhere around 92-23.5. Obviously a disorganized Gulf system is liable to have several spins & swirls. We've all seen that before. I'm sticking with heaviest rain east of me, though I am expecting to see some action here. As promised yesterday, I'll post whenever we see any rain.

In the segment that may interest only me and LoisCane, check around the globe for all the swirly features looking good on sat. I need to find the alt-link to the NRL since their main page is down through the usual channels. But there is a global burst in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. If you go to a hemispheric mosaic view, you see this pretty well.

Anyway, today's the day that many of us coastal denizens should start seeing some effects from our unnamed system. I, for one, can't wait.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center