LI Phil
(User)
Tue Jun 22 2004 12:50 AM
Re: "CAT V" Rick

>>> lets take one like the 'dinosaur killer' hit just off the yucatan, 67 million bc

HF,

I don't mean to correct you, but I believe that was 68 million bc.

In all seriousness,

Movies like The Day After Tomorrow (killer special effects, hope Oscar remembers it), really do more to harm than help the tree-hugging global warming theorists. I don't want to say there is no such thing as global warming. Actually, I do believe it is happening, but not to the extent portrayed either in the movie or by the alarmists. And reducing CO's, aresol emissions, dirty air, etc. (remember, I live next door to NYC, so I know all to well about too much carbon monoxide releases, coal firing plants in PA, etc.), can only be good for mother earth. But the ice caps are NOT melting at levels which will cause armageddon in three weeks. Personally, I recycle everything and believe there is no good use for styrofoam (other than for packaging McDonald's burgers), but it's not going to cause 500 mph 'canes next week. HF made an excellent point that earth is a closed system, and every action will either directly, or indirectly, cause an equal and opposite REaction. Remember, hurricanes are actually nature's way of ventilating heat from the surface. She (or he) will never let it get to the point where a hypercane is necessary to do that. At least not in our, our children's, or our grandchildren's lifetimes.

Now, could a CAT V hit Rick in Mobile this year? Absolutely. Same chances as every year. However, is a 300' tsunami going to level lower Manhattan & the east coast. As James88 would probably opine,

"Not Bloody Likely".

Let's just keep focused on the tropics, and maybe we'll all get another Isabel Cat V to track later this year...which hopefully will spin the fish.

Truth be told, I love Rick's doom and gloom forecasts. Always gives the board excellent fodder, especially now, when we're unlikely to see anything for at least a week to 10 days worthy of interest.

Enjoy the evening,

Peace & Cheers,

LI Phil

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center