Lake Toho - Kissimmee
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 28 2004 05:12 AM
Re: Golly..

Yes you have to be prepared to #1 protect yourself from the storm, and #2 to be self sufficient for at least 3-7 days. Trust me help does not get to you quickly after the storm passes you, so you need to have enough supplies to get you through. Everyone gets very excited about these storms, inlcuding me, however, if you have ever had a hurricane pass through your city ( I have had 2, Andrew and now Charley) the worst part of the storm is the aftermath. Finding gas, waiting in long lines for ice, trying to find batteries and other essential items, going without electricity and water, its a major hassle. Not to mention the cleanup, having to wait for Insurance Adjusters (check your policy for a huge windstorm deductible if you live in FL) and then having to battle out claims with your insurance, trying to find roofers to temporarily dry your house in, and getting estimates from contractors who cant come out to see you for months which inturn delays your insurance claims, and then there is debri cleanup , this is all one major headache. Take it from me, the hurricane itself is a major and very dangerous rush, however, the aftermath is a major major pain in the A$$.

Again, check your insurance policy careful for huge deductables and also be aware that some major insurance companies have made some very major changes to your homeowners/windstorm insurance regarding coverage, or lack there of.. I have had to hire a Public Adjuster because of my Insurance Companies response. They are very very tight with their wallets these days... Mine wouldnt even cover hotel expenses when I was without water/power in my house.. So becareful and read your policies.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center