Ricreig
(User)
Tue Aug 31 2004 04:21 PM
Re: Site Performance

Quote:

Yeah the site is showing signs of cracking, but I've got plaster ready. I've upgraded the server a bit Sunday, and I may have to again. The site requirements for a place like this are odd, in that it can be relatively slow for a while and then suddenly it spikes -- as in several orders of magnitude, as a 10GB access log file for the first half of August shows. I have been tweaking settings and memory to streamline it as well as offloading images to another bandwidth throttled server. (Text remains unthrottled)

I do have something new I just wrote, especially because of model fun... http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.php

Is using the model group linked on the front page and taking snapshots every hour and animating it on that screen. It only has one seed image now, but should become more useful over time to help see trends in the models.

Mike, not only are you a at *least* a fair to middlin' weather prognosticator, but your programming skills are quite evident.I know, before I retired to start teaching, I *was* a programmer for Lockheed Martin for many years... I recognize good work when I see it.

Having said that, you don't control the reliability of power, the backbone and the like, so like a generator backs up power, when needed, alternate sites are still a good idea, IHMO. I've been a fan of this site since you started about '95 or so, and keep coming back here, not because of 'hype' but because of performance value. Even if I have to use a backup, I'll be back, and I'll bet a lot of others have similar views. You needn't worry about competition, the service you offer is A-1 in my book. Keep up the good work!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center