Ricreig
(User)
Wed Sep 01 2004 12:52 PM
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning

Quote:

Nice, but try to explain in laymen terms MCO, TPA.
Thanks.

Those are the airline identifiesrs of ORLANDO, TAMPA (PIE=FtLauderdae), JAX=JacksonvilleFL, VRB=Vero Beach, MIA-Miami and so on. Most people, having traveled via air recognize their own and destination, but I agree, the others may only be meaningful to other pilots. ORL is Orlando Executive near where I reside but the International 'Orlando' airport is MCO as it used to be McCoy AFB until the city gained control of it.Often, lat/long coordinates are those of near by airports so when you go to your weather page of your local city, you will often be getting the lat/long of a nearby airport serving that city. My MLB (Melbourne) is the regional center around here and MCO and ORL are for Orlando area. DAB, JAX, OCF...these are also about to be affected by Frances.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center