Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Sep 01 2004 05:16 PM
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning

This was posted on Storm2K by a professional met relative to the new GFS run..... for what its worth.....

""First off, the new GFS is too far north in the short term. By 00z tonight, it has Frances at around 22.9n 71.3w. That means it would have to gain a full degree latitude from now until 00z.... not goint to happen with a 280-285 heading.

Secondly, I remain baffled at the GFS first moving the storm north INTO a 589-590 dm ridge. Synoptically, it digs the west coast trough which in turn develops the ridge over the east... with the ridge axis to the west of Frances. This tells me the storm continues WNW.

Third, it stalls the storm off of the east coast...waits for the west coast trough to progress east, then lifts it into GA/SC. I think the stalling concept is absurd given the strength and orientation of the ridge.

Those are my thoughts as to why the 12z GFS is yet again out to lunch."""

I don't think he gives it much credit...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center