Roberta
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 01 2004 05:32 PM
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning

I've been reading all the discussions here for a couple of days and sincerely THANK the "hurricane experts" here for their sensible and knowledgeable analysis of this looming monster storm!

I have a question (just SLIGHTLY nervous now - BIGTIME! )
We live in Sebastion, FL - about 20 miles south of MLB. We are about 6 miles inland in a frame house with concrete foundation, but in a neighborhood with LOTS of big pine trees. Our landlord cut down the big pine in our front yard yesterday. I am disabled - nearly bedridden), but my hubby is healthy, along with our little chihuahua.
What are your ideas about us evacuating? Should we, and WHERE in the world should we go? (from the GREAT graphics posted, it looks like most ALL of FL will be affected by those high winds!) We have bought supplies - should we just get boarded up and stay in our safest room...or get on the road?
If the storm comes in as shown and predicted, we here in the Sebastian and MLB area will be under the gun for quite a few hours (from early Sat. a.m. to at least LATE Sat. nite or early Sunday morning).
We went thru the storms 10 yrs. ago in Pensacola (Erin and Opal) and that was unforgettable...Erin was supposedly a Cat I, but she blew the roof off our motel - we high-tailed it on Opal to Birmingham and ended up right in her path and spent the night in the laundry room of a KOA campground, LOL! Opal WAS a Cat 5 at the time we got mandatory evac orders, and the bad weather and winds arrived about 16 hrs. before she hit, so packing up the car and RV was pretty rough...just saying this to CONFIRM that the bad weather from Frances WILL arrive way ahead of her, so anyone affected, PLEASE get started and complete your plans and preparations NOW!

So, PLEASE...will be grateful for any advice that the knowledgeable folks here can give us!
Thank you in advance for your help!

Roberta in Sebastian, FL

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center