Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Thu Sep 02 2004 01:27 PM
Re: It Shifts Left

Tough question without knowing HOW its built.. One thing I know is critical, If you DO NOT have your roof secured with hurricane straps to your exterior walls, I would evacuate because you are in grave danger of your roof, or parts of it blowing off ... I don't know the building codes for your area.... now if I knew my structure was well strapped, every joyce, stuff, and rafter, then I'd make sure that every window was boarded up with at least 1/2 in plywood, securely fastened.... you do not want to lose a window which would allow the wind to penetrate your structure... even with hurricane straps, the wind could blow off the plywood decking of your roof... that is also NOT good... food for thought.... most well built structures should fare OK in a Cat 2 or 3.... Especially if they are well strapped... if you are in a flood zone, get heck out... period

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center