Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 02 2004 02:05 PM
Re: It Shifts Left

I've been following this forum for the past day or so and even though I know you all aren't builders, I have a question.....

My 3000 sq ft house was built in '68, completely concrete block with 3 different flat roof levels - tar and rock roof. I'm on a peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by Lake Down. I've got 40 sheets of plywood and starting to board up now, because I have 13 sets of sliding glass doors on the south and west side of my house, 2 sets of which are topped with 4 x 8 fixed transomes looking west. One of those got smashed by an awning during Charlie and is boarded up already. (A second round of facing a $7800 deductible is WAY more than the $1000 to board up my house!) The north and east sides are almost completely without windows, or nothing major, anyway. And I'm situation behind another house to my east but I have 2 huge very old pines and 3 huge very old Live Oaks.

My question is about inland lake flooding and flat roof structures. Those are the 2 areas I can't find any info about. I've only lived here since '91 and never imagined I'd be concerned about the strength of even THIS house!! The water is WAY up as of the past few storms since Charley, so we couldn't even cut the grass any more. I have flood ins because I'm DEFINITELY low!. As for the roof, I'm concerned about limbs puncturing it as was the case in some friend' homes with pitched roofs.

If this is the wrong place to ask about this, please let me know where to go for info or email me @dzinermw@hotmail.com. Either way, my son and I are flying out tomorrow AM after I board up today!

Thanks for being here! You are all gifted souls and appreciated tremendously!!!

Let's all just keep praying!!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center